On behalf of St. John the Evangelist Parish, we extend our warm welcome! Since the “Mother Church of Jackson” was established here in 1856, many generations of Catholics have come to worship on these sacred grounds. Our parish is home to the oldest church building in the Diocese of Lansing. Yet even more than this holy site, St. John Church comes alive in the people who make up this parish. The more you discover at our parish, the more you will meet the many parishioners who become the “living stones” (1 Peter 2:5) that animate and incarnate the Body of Christ for the local community here at St. John.
Come Visit Us!
Our campus is expansive and we have so much to offer for our parishioners and visitors. Visit one of our Masses during the week or weekend. Participate in events that we host at St. Joseph's Social Center. Stop by the office and introduce yourself. Check out our many outreach opportunities. Come and see what it's like to be part of our St. John's family.
To the parents of young children:
- God put the wiggle in children - don't feel you have to suppress those wiggles in God's house.
- Quietly explain the parts of the Mass and actions of the priest, musicians, users, etc.
- Sing the hymns, pray and voice the responses. Children learn behavior by mimicking you.
- Consider stting toward the front where it is easier for your little ones to engage.
- If you have to leave the sanctuary with your child, feel free to do so, but please come back. As Jesus said, "let the children come to me."