St. Joseph is widely known for their paczki and their heritage festival. Join us to celebrate with good food, good music, and dancing!Latest News
Our Women’s Guild has been been a staple of our community since at least 1964, originally called the Mothers Club. The Women’s Guild welcomes newcomers of all ages to come join us and pray the rosary each month. For more information about becoming a member, please feel free to come visit us at the next meeting.See When We Meet
Our Holy Rosary Society has been established for the personal sanctification and salvation of our parishioners by promoting faithfulness to the rosary and the Blessed Sacrament. Contributions of talents and parish support are vital for this 100+ year old organization.See When We Meet
St. Joseph the Worker Oratory
The first initiative for a Polish language parish occurred in 1895. As a result the St. Joseph Society was organized. A priest was sent to Jackson in 1901 but was removed only months later. There was a tremendous controversy over the location of the parish. Rev. Joseph F. Herr, considered the first pastor of the parish, was assigned to the community in the fall of 1902. The first Mass for the parish was offered in White Hall at Columbus and Michigan Avenue. The following September two Felician sisters taught forty-five pupils in a converted brick barn. In 1908 a four-room school was built. Eight more rooms were added in 1914. The Felician community started their centennial of service to the parish in 2003. The first St. Joseph church was completed in the fall of 1904. The Polish native, Rev. Joseph Przbylski, pastored St. Joseph parish from 1925 until 1963. A new convent and rectory were built. R. Przybylski celebrated the 50th anniversary of his ordination on July 6, 1963. He retired the same month and Rev Marian J. Lesniak began his thirty-nine year pastorate. Fr. Lesniak immediately began plans for a new church. Bishop Alexander M. Zaleski dedicated the present parish church in May 1968. In 2010, by decree of Bishop Boyea, St. Joseph Parish became an oratory of St. John the Evangelist Parish. In the years since, our parishes have worked to merge our respective heritage and parish families.
We have many events that happen throughout the year that celebrate our heritage, engage with the community, and provide for good fellowship. Join us at our next Polish Heritage Festival, or eat some Paczki at our next bake sale. Participate in our Corpus Christi procession as we adore the Lord together. Come worship with us every Sunday morning, at 9:30 a.m. Contact the Parish Office for questions or more details.